Saturday, January 11, 2014

Teens to Teens Reading Project Post 13

Thanks to the wonderful three snows that were added onto my Christmas break I was able to finish reading Insurgent along with starting and finishing Allegiant. Both of these books are the last two in the Divergent series by Veronica Roth. It was a lot of fun to read the phenomenal books based on the up and coming film adaption of Divergent (in theaters March 21, 2014).  I now understand why everyone is reading this series; because it is great. The reader is able to connect and fall in love all the characters while wondering what faction they would belong in. I've decided that even though I wish I was brave enough to be in Dauntless with Tris and Four, I think I would be best suited for Amity (based on everything else I know about the factions).
In addition to reading the final Divergent books, I am now reading The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. This book is about sixteen year old Hazel who has been diagnosed with cancer since she was thirteen years old. Hazel has been letting cancer control her life until she meets Augustus Waters, at the support group meetings that her mother forces her to go to. Now Hazel and Augustus are best friends falling in love with each but Hazel fears of her death that will ultimately lead to Augustus’ heart being broken. I think this is going to be a love story that all teenage girls should read because it presents the ideas of life’s conflicts and how we deal with them. I am now on page 156 of chapter eleven and hope to have finished reading with book within the next two weeks or so. The Fault In Our Stars is also being made into a movie coming to screens this June.
Finally, after having read all of the Divergent series, I will be writing a special combined book review on all three books. I am hoping that this will excite some people who are on the fence about getting involved in reading another trilogy; but I have to say that it is entirely worth it because of the characters, the interesting dystopian world, and the key ideas presented to the reader are incredible. I will be working on writing the beginning of this book review over the course of this weekend and will have it done, at the latest, after my midterm exams.
On a final note, I will be talking with my teacher about how to create my new blog for my book reviews next Friday.  

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jackie! My name is Becca and I'm a future English educator at the University of Saint Joseph in CT. I'm going to be reading and commenting on your blog weekly :) I am excited that you have dedicated your project to reading and reviewing teen books, and even more excited to see that we have a very similar taste in books!

    I read "Divergent" this past summer and absolutely loved it! Like you, I wish I was brave enough to be a Dauntless, but after taking the quiz in the back of the book, it seems that I am destined for the Erudite faction (I do love to learn!). Your recommendation definitely encouraged me to pick up the trilogy again where I left off!

    I am also a HUGE fan of "The Fault in Our Stars". I think John Green is a fantastic author and I enjoy reading any of his novels! Have you seen any of the vlogbrothers videos on YouTube? John Green and his brother Hank keep in touch with each other by posting videos about random information, including many interesting facts about the coolest of topics. John Green vlogs about his writing a lot, as well. If you haven't checked it out, make sure you do! It is so cool to hear an author discuss their own writing.

    I'm so inspired by your project and am looking forward to following your progress! Keep up the awesome work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becca!

      It's means so much to me that you are going to be supporting me every step of the way through this project. I love reading books and I feel it is something every teenager and child should also enjoy. That's one of the main reasons I choose to do this project.

      Also at the end of this school year, my school will be holding a TEDx event where I may have the opportunity to present a speech about everything I have learned from this project, while also having it live streamed on, as I believe, the TEDx website for the world to see. I will try to keep my readers updated on that; however we just found out about this awesome opportunity ourselves so when I hear more information I will definitely post about it!

      I cannot wait to hear from you again and hopefully my book review site will be up and running soon. Feel free to encourage others to read my blog and let your friends know about my 20 Time project.

      ~Jackie

      Delete